- Who We Are
- What We Do
- How We Think
- News & Articles
- Contact Us
American University’s “The Eagle” Writes Article about Bernabei & Kabat Client, Carolyn Brown
On June 21, 2017
American University’s student-led newspaper, The Eagle, reports that Carolyn Brown, an assistant professor in AU’s School of Communication, is appealing Provost Scott Bass’s decision to deny her tenure. In her appeal, Professor Brown asserts that she was unfairly denied tenure in retaliation for her activism on race and gender issues on AU’s campus, and for encouraging students in her broadcast journalism course to report on these issues.
Professor Brown also alleges that Provost Bass’s denial of her tenure breached her contract with the University because he conducted a “flawed and biased” statistical analysis of her student evaluations, in violation of AU’s Faculty Manual. She further alleges that Provost Bass refused to read letters of support written on her behalf, and ignored empirical evidence demonstrating inherent race and gender bias in student evaluations. Professor Brown is currently the only Latina professor in AU’s School of Communication.
This comes after two AU professors, Maria Ivancin and Loubna Skalli Hanna, also Bernabei & Kabat clients, filed suit against AU after being denied tenure in 2013 and 2015, respectively. They claim that the University breached their contracts, and that Provost Bass’s actions were discriminatory on the basis of age.
To read more about Carolyn Brown in The Eagle, click here.
To read more about Carolyn Brown in Diverse Education, click here.
To read more about Maria Ivancin and Loubna Skalli Hanna’s cases, click here.
RECENT NEWS & ARTICLES
- Lynne Bernabei to Speak at Sexual Harassment Q&A for Journalists in August 2017 July 18, 2017
- “Inside Higher Ed” Publishes Article about Carolyn Brown’s Tenure Denial June 30, 2017
- Lynne Bernabei and Kristen Sinisi Present at 2017 NELA Convention June 27, 2017
- American University’s “The Eagle” Writes Article about Bernabei & Kabat Client, Carolyn Brown June 21, 2017
- Lynne Bernabei and Alan Kabat Author Amicus Brief Challenging Trump’s Travel Ban June 1, 2017