- Who We Are
- What We Do
- How We Think
- News & Articles
- Contact Us
American University Professor Alleges Age Discrimination
On October 24, 2013
Bernabei & Wachtel represents an American University professor who was denied tenure in May of 2012. Maria Ivancin is suing for age discrimination after teaching in the School of Communication’s Department of Public Communication for 10 years.
Despite significant support from other influential members of American University, Provost Scott Bass claimed she failed to show the significant impact of her work on the profession or society and lacked “top-tier” publications. Ms. Ivancin claims Mr. Bass breached her contract by using the requirements for the scholarly tenure tract as opposed to the professional tenure tract elected by Ms. Ivancin. Ms Ivancin joined AU at the age of 47 after having an extensive career elsewhere resulting in many publications she claims were discounted by the provost.
RECENT NEWS & ARTICLES
- Lynne Bernabei and Alan Kabat Author Amicus Brief Challenging Trump’s Travel Ban September 13, 2017
- D.C. Superior Court Issues Positive Opinion in Bernabei & Kabat Case Involving American University August 23, 2017
- New York’s Council Members Lancman and Rosenthal Introduce Legislation Prohibiting Employers from Requiring Low-Wage Employees to Enter Non-Competes August 18, 2017
- Lynne Bernabei to Speak at Sexual Harassment Q&A for Journalists in August 2017 July 18, 2017
- “Inside Higher Ed” Publishes Article about Carolyn Brown’s Tenure Denial June 30, 2017